The Launch of the Peter Capaldi’s Doctor Who is Coming
The time travelling doctor in his police-box shaped TARDIS (time and relative dimensions in space) that is bigger on the inside will be played by Glaswegian actor Peter Capaldi. He takes over the role from Matt Smith; he was the 11th doctor and has been the star of the show since 2009 since taking over from David Tenant. Capaldi has been a lifelong fan of the series and has even appeared as minor characters in other episodes such as “The Fires of Pompeii” and in the “Torchwood: Children of the Earth” spin-off.
Doctor Who is considered to be one of the finest television series in Britain and it won the British Academy Television Award in 2006 for Best Drama Series. It is also listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the longest running sci fi television show in the world, as well as being the “most successful” science fiction series of all time. It is a significant part of British popular culture and has influenced generations. The original series began in 1963 and ended in 1989 and influenced many generations of children (Peter Capaldi included). Then the reboot in 2005 has inspired further newer generations of people.
A New Style of Doctor
Many fans are wondering what type of personality quirks Capaldi will bring to his version of the Doctor. While Matt Smith’s version of the character was very sweet, excitable, wide-eyed and emotional, it is thought that the new doctor will share some characteristics with Capaldi’s character on the BBC show “The Thick of It.” He will still be the doctor, but perhaps a tad more sarcastic, hardened and rude version - more like John Hurts War doctor as seen in ‘The Day of the Doctor’.
One of the reasons why Doctor Who is such an interesting show is that the same character has been played by so many actors. With each regeneration the Doctor has a slightly different personality and each actor gives him a distinct emphasis.
However there is no doubt that with the long succession of Doctor Who actors are playing the same character – there is a certain “something” that they all have that runs through them like a continuous thread. They all carry something from the Doctors previous incarnations, if you have seen the Children in need special ‘Time Crash’ wherein David Tenant’s Doctor meets Peter Davidsons Doctor it is described how certain traits from each Doctor keep on in the newly regenerated versions. Each actor’s portrayal might differ, but they are all aspects of the same person and together they form one huge storyline.
Fun Facts About the 12th Doctor
In anticipation for the launch of the new series, here are some interesting tidbits that you might not have known about Peter Capaldi and his character. Have you heard any of these fun 12th Doctor facts for the new series?
- The Doctor will have a new costume and it’s a lot more subtle and sophisticated than Matt Smith’s jaunty bow tie and fez. He will be wearing a dark blue coat with red lining, dark blue trousers, sturdy black shoes and a white shirt. It is thought that the look was inspired by David Bowie.
- The Doctor’s current companion Clara will have a romance this season as she dates a fellow teacher named Danny Pink – Peter Capaldi stated recently that there will be no flirting between the two with his version of the Doctor.
- Peter Capaldi’s version of the character will be a little more “alien” than previous incarnations. He doesn’t understand human beings as much, or care for their approval.
- Capaldi will play the character with his native Scottish accent, because “Scottish accents are cool.” Capaldi is actually the third Scottish actor to play the doctor, after David Tennant and Sylvester McCoy. Tennant played the role with an English accent instead of his natural way of speaking and McCoy was the only other Doctor not to have an English accent.
- When he was studying at the Glasgow School of Art, Capaldi used to sing in a band called The Bastards from Hell. The drummer of the band was comedian Craig Ferguson.
- Around the time when Capaldi was cast as the Doctor he was filming the Hollywood disaster film World War Z. His role was of a doctor for the World Health Organisation (WHO). In the credits he is listed as “WHO Doctor”.
- The TARDIS console room has had a few renovations, with the addition of a blackboard and a library.
- Peter Capaldi will be the oldest actor to play the Doctor. The second oldest was Hartnell, who was 55 when he started with the role. Capaldi recently turned 56. However he is technically too young for the role, because the Doctor is actually over 2,000 years old now!
- Stevan Moffat had considered casting Capaldi as a replacement for David Tennant back in 2010, but he opted to place Matt Smith in the role instead.
- When he spoke to the Sunday Times, Capaldi was adamant that there would be no flirting with his female companions. This doctor is not concerned with romance.
- Remember the first glance of the new Doctor that we got on Christmas Day last year in the episode “The Time of the Doctor?” 10.2 million people tuned in to watch that episode!
These are just a few fun facts that you can share with your friends as you watch the first episode of the new season together!
Watch the First Episode in Style
If you are a big fan of the show, you are probably looking forward to the first episode with eager anticipation. Perhaps you will even have some friends over so that you can watch it together and celebrate the beginning of a new era and a new Doctor. While you do so, why not have a little bit of fun and get dolled up in Fancy Dress?
There are plenty of really great Doctor Who fancy dress costumes that you can wear to celebrate the occasion, whether you want to dress up as the Doctor himself or maybe a weeping angel?!
You could even have a Doctor Who themed party to celebrate any occasion. Order in food or set up a buffet, decorate with pictures of the TARDIS and your favourite characters from the show. You could even have a Doctor Who quiz game for your guests, offering a prize for the player who knows the most about the show.
No matter how you celebrate the launch of the new doctor, make sure that you have fun and enjoy the new season!